[SEL] System outage - Frances

Spencer Yost yostsw at atis.net
Wed Sep 8 06:05:58 PDT 2004

Just wanted to let everyone know that the ATIS servers were down for
several hours overnight while crews repaired downed lines nearby.   A large
oak knocked out power and data lines.   The outage lasted a few hours,
though access was spotty before and after the main outage as Duke Power and
Time Warner had trouble throughout the region.  I understand that data
access will continue to be spotty, as they roll lines in and out of the
grid for repairs.  I have not seen any of these rolls so hopefully they are
in areas outside of my concentrator.  By the way, the power backup unit I
have carried us through most of the blackout, but the data line is actually
what caused the outage.  While we are indeed back up,  all incoming mail
comes through a SPAM service who only now is retrying mail delivery so I am
not sure how long it will take for any queued mail to get delivered to me

Fortunately, Frances was polite enough to strike overnight and I am not
sure that all that much mail and web traffic was affected.  Hope all is
well with everyone else,

PS:  3.5+" of rain in the gauge, 50mph wind gusts last night, and its'
still pouring buckets
PSS Click here for current radar.   I am about 10 miles west of
Winston-Salem:

http://www.erh.noaa.gov/radar/loop/DS.p19r0/si.kfcx.shtml

Spencer Yost
Owner, ATIS