[SEL] Curt's Lorenz - A Black Day in International Shipments

George Best George_Best at adp.com
Tue Sep 7 08:36:51 PDT 2004

Strand board, chip board, plywood, are all acceptable woods since they
are heated during the manufacturing process.  It is raw wood which is
the problem. Actually the term used by the regulations is
"non-manufactured wood".

The big deal is that the EU is trying to prevent the pinewood nematode
from spreading.

If you search the internet you can find numerous websites dealing with
shipping requirements for wood crates.

I think the main concern is for crates leaving North America and being
shipped to the EU.  Since we already have pinewood nematodes, there
shouldn't be a concern for EU countries shipping the few nematodes they
have back to us!

On the crates I've shipped to Harry in the past I used standard pallets
or pallet bases I made from Douglas fir and built the framework of the
crate with fir as well.  Then used a strand board skin to complete the
crate.  Had not questions or problems shipping these crates.

I don't have a problem changing how I build the pallet and frame it to
eliminate the use of raw wood, and of course the strand board covering
is no problem as it is a manufactured wood.  The problem I have is if I
have to start paying someone to certify the crate meets the EU
requirements.

George