[SEL] My Economy (AGAIN)

Arnie Fero fero_ah at city-net.com
Thu Sep 2 08:22:21 PDT 2004

Hi Bob,

Your post has brought up one of the more interesting topics that surfaces
from time to time on the list.  I'll intersperse my comments among Curt's.

On Thu, 2 Sep 2004, Curt Holland wrote:

> Could you tell us more about the current condition of the engine? Is
> there a mix of original paint blended with the patina of well oiled cast
> iron showing thru? Perhaps a faded but still visable Economy logo.... Is
> some of the pinstriping still there? If this is the case then I would
> certainly leave it original.

One of the greatest tradegies in the hobby is when someone has an engine
with faded original paint, striping, decal, etc. and they sandblast that
to do a cosmetic restoration.  A hand wipe using a 50-50 mix of kero and
NON-detergent motor oil brings up that faded color & decal and darkens the
rusty bits leaving a soft shine.  A more permanent effect can be obtained
by wiping on a THIN coat of boiled linseed oil.  The engine, of course,
must be clean for that treatment.  Gunk is a great de-greaser.

> However, if it is a rusty lump with no paint anymore it needs some
> painting TLC.

Ahhhh, there's the rub...

SOME folks (like Curt and Dave R.) do fantastic full gloss restorations of
engines.  Some folks even spend more on paint than on the engine itself.
Fortunatly there is room in the hobby for "pretty engines."  Some folks
even prefer 'em that way.  8-))

BUT, and this bit is VERY important, SOME folks prefer to see the engines
in their "working clothes."  This can be "barn fresh" with grease, straw,
and chicken droppings still attached or can be a cleaned "rusty lump"
that's been given the oil & kero or linseed oil treatment.  A great place
to see this variety is at Portland in the OFES area.  Note that you'll
also see "full gloss" restorations there too.  And you'll also hear them
referred to by some as being "tarted up like a two-dollar whore."  8-))

> A lot of us Americans are lazy when it comes to engine painting. I've
> seen lots of engines at shows that look like crap because the owner was
> just not motivated to clean and/or paint the engine.

This is, of course, just one man's opinion.  See above.

> Based on the engine
> pictures our European friends post, it is apparent the art of elbow
> grease, hard work, and craftsmanship is alive and well there. You'll not
> see a shabby engine on their side of the pond. Most are spendidly
> prepared and painted with a high quality paint. We could all learn a
> thing or two from our European freinds.

Having attended a lot of English engine rallies I can say that things
there are just the same as here.  Full gloss sitting beside barn fresh on
the same rally field.  Perhaps Curt only remembers the full gloss
beauties?  Or perhaps his judgement is skewed by the fact that some
punters tend to photograph the glossy babes more than the others?  8-))

> If you embark on the path of repainting your Economy, you need to decide
> to what extent you will refinish her.
> There are guys that blast and simply paint the engines as the casting
> are, imperfections and all. This is NOT the quality of finish the
> engines left the factory with. The manufacturers had some "paste" they
> used to fill in the casting imperfections with before painting them.
> That original product is not available but modern (and superior)
> products such as body filler and Icing do a great job.

SOME engines left the factory with a filler applied to the casting before
painting.  But some did not.  Especially when competition heated up in the
engine market and companies attempted to reduce costs.  It depends on the
engine.  As you clean the engine you should get an idea which sort yours
was.  If you find traces of the clay-based filler, then you're pretty safe
in doing a glossy, filled restoration.  Glenn Karch is the best authority
on what the Economy engines would have looked like leaving the factory.

> While slicking an engine is a lot of work there is some merit to doing
> at least the water hopper. When you buy the replacement decals (either
> water transfer or stick on) the translucent background will turn
> invisible on a nice slick/smooth surface. Decals placed on a as cast and
> painted surface look pretty bad as the "translucent" portion of the
> decal takes on a white look to it.

That bit is good advice.

There is one clear downside to investing a lot of work, money, etc. in
slicking up an engine.  Many who do become paranoid about getting so much
as a scratch on that "perfect finish."  They don't run the engine, they
doen't even add gas or oil.  They wrap the engine in layers of protective
quilts and avoid the rain.  In short, they have a beautiful woman with
perfect hair, makeup, and nails who rejects all attention for fear of
getting something "mussed."  No "slap & tickle" in the back seat for that
gal.  8-))

Personally, I like to play with my toys.  My engines run rain or shine or
I'm working on them to get 'em running again.  Working engines are also
more fun for the spectators.  What's the point in having an engine
belted up to a water pump or buzz saw and being afraid to pump water or
buzz firewood for fear of "scratching the paint" or getting it dirty.
That surely wasn't the position taken by the farmer when he uncrated that
glossy new engine.  He worked the sumbitch.

So as you can see there are passionate advocates for all sorts of
restorations.  And more importantly there is room in the hobby for all
sorts of engines; full gloss AND rusty lumps.  Do what pleases YOU and
most importantly, take the engine out to as many shows as you can afford
to attend and RUN the damn thing.  There's the real fun!!  8-))

One more point that wasn't covered is the mechanical aspect.  Before you
do "cosmetics" make sure that the engine is as right mechanically as you
can get it.  As to preserving "farmer repairs", I'm generally in favor of
that.  But it is important to include a description of the repair in your
display and show folks what it should look like.  Many of these repairs
were pretty clever.  The "Swamp Sparta" comes to mind as a classic
example.

> As Joe said, it will be like taking a new gal to the show. Will she be a
> good looker or a trophy gal?

Or as Jim & Dolly would say "totty or slapper."  8-))

See ya,  Arnie

Arnie Fero
Pittsburgh, PA
fero_ah at city-net.com