[SEL] Latest engine

George Best George_Best at adp.com
Wed Sep 1 08:32:51 PDT 2004

http://albums.photo.epson.com/j/AlbumIndex?u=4019318&a=31394075&f=

Yesterday I got my latest engine.  It is a DUX vertical hit&miss French
engine.

This is supposed to be a very rare engine although being built in 1923
it isn't all that old.

So far Harry and I have not been able to find any information on the
company or locate any other examples of DUX engines.

Unfortunately the engine doesn't have a brass tag to identify the size
or serial number.  Luckily some information is embossed on the castings.
For example there is a 1923 casting date on the cylinder and the magneto
has a 1922 date stamped on it.

I've seen several engines with the engine serial number stamped on
multiple parts, so last night I did a quick search for a stamped number
on parts.  I did find four machined parts with a 3 stamped on them. ( 2
intake valve cage parts, 2 governor latch parts) I would rather have
found the number stamped on some larger parts, but so far no luck.  I'll
keep looking for a serial number when I get to cleaning up the engine
more.

What do you think about the chances that it is serial number 3?

George

Ps... While most of you were away enjoying the Portland show, I rejoined
SEL.