[SEL] Surviving Factories

Judge Tommy Turner lcjudge at scrtc.com
Sat Oct 30 18:58:10 PDT 2004

Mike,

    They're about 2 blocks from Rupp Arena.  If you are US 27 going away
from Rupp, turn left on 2nd St., then the next left will be Saunier St.
You'll see all the old Saunier Buildings on the right.  Unless they've
taken it down in the last 6 months, there will be a sign that says
"Saunier Brothers Iron Works".  A great grandson of the Saunier's owns
the place now and rents out a portion of it to stable the horses for the
Lexington carriage rides.  Another portion of it is an art studio I
think.  The very end of it, the part nearest Rupp, is much like it was
in the Hagan days complete with old lineshaft machinery.  I would guess
eventually the buildings will be sold as the real estate has to be worth
some big $$$$.

Tommy Turner
Magnolia, KY