[SEL] Hercules help

Germoamer at aol.com Germoamer at aol.com
Wed Oct 27 17:00:21 PDT 2004

I have been contacted to come and look at a 6(?) hp Hercules/Economy/Sparta
engine and to price it for sale.  It has been described as an ignitor engine
with battery and coil, no mag. The owner also stated that there is no known
serial number tag on the top like most Economy/Hercules engines.  So, from my
limited knowledge and his descriptions I assume it may be a very early Hercules or
maybe a Sparta engine, but just guessing at this time.  Is there some where
to look for a serial number or casting date on these early engines?  Also, what
distinguishing features should I look for to determine if Sparta versus
Hercules?

Thanks,

Tom Schmutz
Concord, Va. USA