[SEL] Oldengine.org document repository

Peter A Forbes diesel at easynet.co.uk
Wed Oct 27 14:28:13 PDT 2004

On Wed, 27 Oct 2004 16:54:30 -0400, you wrote:

>>Should we find that the facility is being abused, by copying the files and
>>selling the resulting manual on ebay for example, then we will have to
>>reconsider the access position.
>>Input from interested parties welcomed, we reckon on doing this in a couple of
>>weeks, in time for the Cabin Fever season!
>>Peter
>
>Hi Peter,
>         Why the hell would you (or anyone else for that matter) care about
>someone selling copies on e-bay? Only a "control freak" would care about
>such things. I urge you to reconsider your position!
>         Dave

Hi Dave:

It's something that has cropped up before, both on the Lists and on Harry's
site, and I seem to recall a discussion on the SEL list in particular this year.

If an engine enthusiast spends his or her time scanning manuals for the benefit
of the hobby, and supplies them free for use by others, I don't think it is
right that people should take that work and profit by selling it on ebay.

I know that a lot of information is available in the USA under the Freedom of
Information Act, and in principal I thoroughly applaud the Act and the
principle, but the Act doesn't apply to the average collector/enthusiast who
spends his own time and effort on producing something for the rest of us.

There are a number of issues here, and I am following the general trend of
comments made to me already on the subject, but would welcome further
discussion/comment so that we can get a better view of the position.

Peter