[SEL] Ottawa TE4 running again

Paul Pavlinovich pjp at steamengine.com.au
Tue Oct 26 05:31:10 PDT 2004

She is going again. The engine I brought home from the US was all put
back together (thanks to a mate Stan who made new studs and refaced the
head nice and flat) this weekend and taken to the Stringy Bark Festival
in Melbourne. Before taking it down the best I'd made it do was pop a
few times with most of the combustion happening within the muffler.

At the rally I set up and one of the other club members (thanks Nick!)
helped me sort it out. It is now timed absolutely nothing like the
recommendations made by Ottawa and it is just purring along. The only
outstanding issues are it is getting too hot and the engine will run
with the governor completely closing the butterfly which probably means
it is leaking or there is some other path past the valve within the
carby. This would not surprise me since the carby is a nasty rough sand
casting in iron.

I'll sort it out at the Lake Goldsmith rally coming up this weekend at
Beaufort. I'm taking the Ottawa and the drag saw and should be cutting
all weekend. Made a new belt for the saw last night.

Paul

pjp at steamengine.com.au
Emerald, Victoria, Australia
www.steamengine.com.au