[SEL] FM Z 3hp

George Best George_Best at adp.com
Fri Oct 22 10:08:15 PDT 2004

Welcome Tom,

None of the problems you've mentioned are big enough to scrap the
project.  However, you can easily end up with more money invested in
fixing this engine than it is worth.  So it depends on how much money or
effort you want to invest in this engine.

You'll find that bargain engines with missing or broken parts are not a
bargain when you start buying the missing parts.  Best recommendation is
to always buy complete engines when possible, or know that you can
obtain the missing parts for a reasonable price and still have a
reasonable amount invested in the engine.

Of course some people don't care about the cost and the challenge of
restoring a particular engine is all they need.

I wouldn't worry about the pits in the crankshaft.  Think of them as
grease pockets ;-)

George

Ps.. I've got an early 3hp Z with the Wico EK conversion for replacing
the plugoscillator. Its apart and 90% repainted as I started restoring
it several years ago and then got more interesting projects and lost
interest in this engine.  All the parts are there as it was a running
engine when I got it.  I'd sell it for $600 for anyone willing to come
get it, I don't want to crate/ship it.