[SEL] FM Z 3hp

Tom Smith tsmith at hal-pc.org
Fri Oct 22 09:05:25 PDT 2004

Hi Group,

Well a newbie comes to surface with his first question on FM Z 3hp.

Situation:

Stuck but the cylinder looks ok.

Head has a 1” crack (external and not near a head bolt hole). Looks
easily repairable.

The FM R mag needs a magnet at the very least. I think rebuilt mags
are available for about $250. I don’t know about the magnets.

Mag/governor bracket is broken and the governor missing. Parts
apparently available from Hit N Miss

Now the biggie – The rod journal and one main journal has
approximately 40% area that is corroded. Some pitting about .050” into
the journal surface.

Is this a total loss or can it be turned (oversize bearing available)?
Are there good used cranks available?

I need a little direction here. Do I scrap the project because of the
crank problem or??

Thanks in advance,

Tom