[SEL] Re: can launching

Curt curt at imc-group.com
Fri Oct 15 05:14:08 PDT 2004

bill at antique-engines.com wrote:

>Anyone who has not launched a Coke can or tennis ball from the exhaust of
>a large engine just to watch it fly - raise their hand, er, type "not me".

Bill,
Like you, some of my best old engine times have been launching cans and
bottles to the delight of kids. I use to drag the 6Hp Herc out in the
driveway and aim the long 5' exhaust stack toward the neighbors yard. A
group of kids would congregate and for hours would chase and fetch the
bottle only to be reloaded again.
At Portland a couple of years ago I launched a small tight fitting can
from the Abbey exhaust pipe to the delight of a large collection of
Amish boys. They also were eager to fetch the can where ever the
currents carried it.
Engine can & ball launching is an experience not to be missed  nor will
ever be forgotten by all the kids that see it. What we make fun for
today's kids will nurture future engine hobbyists.
Curt Holland
Gastonia, NC