[SEL] Breakaway chains & Cables

Peter A Forbes diesel at easynet.co.uk
Thu Oct 14 14:14:33 PDT 2004

I am just drawing up a new lightweight 2-axle trailer that will fit inside the
new van (with the drawbar removed) and the subject of breakaway chains and brake
application safety cables was raised on one of the uk caravan (trailer home)
newsgroups.

I noticed at Portland that most guys use safety chains with electric brakes on
their engine trailers, and overrun brakes are rarely used.

What is the general feeling about safety chains and other forms of trailer
retention after a tow hitch failure?  In the UK, if we have a breakaway cable
that pulls on the trailer brakes if it separates from the towing vehicle then we
do not needs safety chains.

I'm leaning towards fitting both on the new trailer and would appreciate any
thoughts.

The trailer is unbraked and 3/4 ton max gross weight. The drawbar is a single
box section which is just under 9ft long, the trailer itself is just under 12ft
long and will just about fill the van inside. Because of motorway (freeway)
restrictions and tachograph requirements, it is easier when travelling back
empty to carry the trailer inside than tow it, and on Ferry crossings like we do
to Spain, it makes £350 difference!

Peter

--
Peter & Rita Forbes