[SEL] FENCES! now Funny Engine Tales

Jim French fbi at insulate.co.uk
Wed Oct 13 13:24:05 PDT 2004

Curt wrote:

> . Tell us
> your funny and maybe a little bit embarrassing engine stories. This
> could be a light and pleasant diversion from the fences and insurance
> thread.

What an excellent idea.
I personally can't tell one because I never can start my engines myself :-(
BUT, Jim says he will quite happily confess his stories.

1)  Jim and twin brother Andy have the impulse mag off one of their first
engines, a Wolseley WD, whilst at a family BBQ.  Interested, our old dog,
Rogan went over to see what they were up to.  He sniffed Jim's leg at the
exact moment the mag let one fly.  Jim, Andy and Rogan all felt the whack, and
Rogan ran off to the far end of the garden yelping.

2)  Jim and Andy again.  Both with streaming colds.  With two identical cans
of fuel, one containing paraffin and one containing petrol.  The %^*ST"+d
engine won't fire.  About an hour and much bad language later, one of them
resorted to tasting the fuel ... they'd had paraffin in the petrol engine.

3)  You know what it's like when you are starting an engine - spend any time
doing it and you soon have an interested crowd watching.  Now make the
location Portland, and the engine a certain well known half-breed and you can
imagine the size of the crowd.  There was a similar sized crowd up on the
trailers, working up a communal sweat, scratching heads etc.  Finally, someone
leaned over from the far side and said "Is the gas turned on?"

Jim says he's still thinking of more!!!!

Dolly

PS Curt, 'fess up.  It's no good telling the stories of other folks'
shortcomings!

--
Jim French
fbi at insulate.co.uk