[SEL] The problem with NO FENCES!

William J Pfeiffer Sr old_iron at msn.com
Tue Oct 12 23:20:10 PDT 2004

I don't agree with the fences, but we need SOMETHING between the exhibits
and the "city slickers" who come to the shows.  On occasion we have even
brought our own "caution" tape and post to put it on.

We were at a "Farm Heritage" show in September, at 4:00 PM (the show closed
at 4:30) we had a little boy who was clearly out of control, go under the
safety rope, and took out two rubber ducks off of the top of the 15"
Humphreys mud pump and throw them in the tub of water.  The ducks had sat
there for 2 days (we had a gate of 1,800 on Saturday) without incident.  My
point here is that this pump has very large open gears that could have taken
this kids arm off without missing a beat if I had not gotten up and told him
to stay outside the ropes.

I don't want to see "fences" but some people need one of Dave's signs on
there head because they don't control their children well enough.

I will now get off my soap box, but some times people need to be protected
from themselves.

Peg Pfeiffer

PS: I attend the "safety meeting" at every show we go to that has one, I
also know how to shut down all of Bill's engines in case of emergency.