[SEL] Mag Help

John Culp johnculp at chartertn.net
Fri Oct 8 16:55:09 PDT 2004

> My experience is that the magnets don't have much pull when in the
> mag. This is from the Websters I've played with. Take the magnet out
> and it should have good pull on a wrench. Hope this helps.

BUT, a steel magnet will also instantly lose much of its "charge" when
the magnetic circuit's broken, either by removing the magnets or
removing the armature. The best way to charge it is with a big charger
and pole pieces that allow charging them in the intact mag after final
assembly. Alternatively, you can charge them and use "keepers" across
the poles to maintain the magnetic circuit as the magnet's removed from
the charger, letting the "keepers" be pushed off as the magnet slides
onto the mag. I've used brake disk pads as keepers on my M's magnets,
and the thing works.

John Culp
Bristol, Tennessee, USA