[SEL] Rice & Sargent steam engine progress

Peter A Forbes diesel at easynet.co.uk
Sun Nov 21 12:45:52 PST 2004

On Sun, 21 Nov 2004 15:54:58 -0500, you wrote:

>Hi All!
>     Those of you that have been on here for four or five years may remember
>the
>rescue of a 450 H.P. Rice & Sargent Corliss steam engine from the basement
>of
>the now demolished L.C.Smith and Brothers Typewriter Company. Inspired by
>the SEL group, and the Tod Engine Project, we were successful in moving the
>engine to a new home, building a museum around it, and obtaining a small
>boiler
>to roll it over with. We are getting closer to opening the museum, but a few
>critical
>items are holding us up. We need to bore the engine, as there was some
>scoring,
>so I have made up a rig for that, there is a little lubrication piping to be
>done, but
>the big item is piping up the boiler to the engine. We restored a steam pump
>for
>another museum and received a nice donation for our efforts, and we are
>buying
>the 4" stop and check valve for the top of the boiler as well as some 6"
>schedule
>80 pipe to serve as a header. The valve turned out to be about a $1200.00
>item,
>so we shopped for a used valve and managed to find a rebuilt valve for
>$800.00.
>The problem is, that valve weighs 250 lbs. and is in Lynwood, California. I
>think
>I can safely assume freight will eat up the difference, as we are in
>Camillus, N.Y.,
>just west of Syracuse. So, we are asking for a little advice.... should we:
>1)Try to find a rebuilder closer to home? I've been searching for a while,
>but I don't
>   know everyone, so if you know of a valve rebuilder that may have a
>y-pattern
>  4" stop & check globe valve such as a Crane 28E, let us know. Or...
>2)Give up the $400.00 savings ( a lot of money, to us anyways!) and buy a
>new
>   one locally? Or...
>3)Try to arrange a ride (or rides) for it from Lynwood, CA to points east
>until
>   we get it home?
>     I'm a little hesitant about asking since it's not a gas engine and is
>heavy, too
>much for one guy without equipment to handle alone, but I have seen this
>list
>accomplish wondrous feats when it comes to helping old iron migrate to a new
>home. What do you think, is this a project worthy of SEL help, or too far
>OT?
>If you do think a ride can be arranged, what is the proper way to go about
>it?
>I'd appreciate your views, and thanks for taking the time in advance!
>    You can see what's been done so far at:
> [...]

Jim:

It's been done before, both in the USA and in the UK and Australia. It may take
a while to organise but engines and other things have travelled the length and
breadth of the countries on the 'engine old-boy' network.

I am sure that help will be forthcoming eventually, pity we cannot offer any
immediate help from over here, but all the best in your endeavours!

Peter