[SEL] old engines on Propane question

Andrew tech at andrew2.netpluscom.com
Thu Nov 18 16:57:28 PST 2004

Graham,
I have an engine I run on propane. The carburetor has an inlet for natural
gas or propane just behind the air breather. In order to get the engine to
throttle properly you need 2 regulators. If you're just going to run it
with no load then you just need one. I have a primary regulator that goes
on the tank, and a secondary regulator which is close to the carburetor.
The primary regulator reduces the tank pressure to low line pressure. The
secondary regulator is a large diaphram regulator that is sensitive to the
vaccumm of the engines intake. When the secondary regulator senses more
vaccumm then it allows more fuel into the engine. I put a ball valve
between the secondary regulator and the carburetor which acts as the
fuel adjustment. When the throttle is
closed then less vaccumm the regulator cuts back the amount of gas. I use
this setup on a Fairbanks 118 I use to drive a generator and it works
really well. I've tried using just one regulator but as soon as the
governor kicked in I had to re-adjust the regulator. I've run my IHC M
just by sticking the hose into the intake, it's a little tricky to get it
right though... I can send a pic of my FBM engine with the secondary
regulator on the carburetor if you want to see it... Also you don't have
to change any governor settings. It should still run the same.
Andrew.

tech at andrew2.netpluscom.com
engineering at andrew2.netpluscom.com
b10730 at hotmail.com