[SEL] IH 3m Engine

Jeff & Marja Allen cwja at telus.net
Sun Nov 14 18:51:03 PST 2004

Hi Brian,
 Just saw your post about IH engine. A trick I have found that has
worked for the past four years on my two engines without a leak and full
pump action is as follows. The tapered gland packing sleeve is fine but
works better if you find a brass washer with the exact OD and ream it
out to fit  a sliding fit for the plunger. Put it beween the spring and
the taper.More importantlly do not use regular graphite string packing!.
Rather use a winding of tephlon packing sold for faucet repair in the
kitchen and follow up with a few wraps of tephlon tape. The tephlon
packs down to a gas tight fit but still has the lubricating qualities
of  tephlon and best of all costs almost nothing to buy. Beats the old
graphite string and nobody knows you are using a modern replacement. The
tephlon does not wash out like graphite and is self -lubricating. Works
like a damn! Try it !