[SEL] Tod Engine Progress Report

Todengine at aol.com Todengine at aol.com
Sun Nov 14 06:12:04 PST 2004

Hello List,

I can't believe I've been on this list for off and on over the last 9 years.
Still plugging away at the Tod Engine project. I just got our building permit
from the City of Youngstown for the construction of the Tod Engine Heritage
Park.  We have over 300,000 lbs. of parts moved to the heritage park site but
still have four giant pieces left to move.  That's next year's project.

I have been working at a foundry for over a year now since I left the employ
of CSX Transportation, and couldn't be happier.  The glamour of riding the
rails at 60 mph in control of 12,000 horsepower and tugging on 10,000 tons of
Chinese imports in containers is more than nullified by sitting in a ratty
Chicago hotel for 12 to 18 hours at a time and the uncertainty of when I will get
called to work.  Now that I am back home in good old Youngstown I've been able
to spend much more time working on the Tod Engine and even found time for a
family life, resulting in the October 28th marriage to my lovely wife Zara.

Working at a foundry has allowed me to do something that I have always
wanted, that is to start my own business.  I am in the beginning stages of forming a
small foundry that will cater to the production of reproduction castings for
hobbyists and restorers.  I am already working on jobs for two list members
one of which is the result of last year's ATIS Charity Auction (Spencer your
parts will be in the mail this week!)

This new foundry is to be called the Tod Engine Works and will actually be a
subsidiary of the Tod Engine Foundation, with the profits going toward the
preservation of the Tod Engine and operation of the Tod Engine Heritage Park.
The foundry is being set up in our leased building at the Castlo Industrial Park
in Struthers, and will be able to provide both ductile and grey iron castings
up to about 50 lbs.initially, and with the completion of a larger iron
melting furnace we could go up to 150 lbs.  We also would have the ability of
melting brass and bronze up to about 50 lbs.  If castings are required larger than
this or made from another metal such as steel, stainless or heat resisting
alloys, I can do this work through the foundry that I currently work at.

I would prefer to work with actual patterns, but if you have a casting that
needs replaced and if its not too complex I may be able to use an original as a
pattern.  Also if you don't have a pattern and if I work from a casting
please be aware that the resulting casting will be tad bit shorter than the
original.  Iron shrinks upon solidification about 1/8" per foot so if you want a 20"
flywheel remade from an original casting it will come out at about 19 3/4"
diameter. That could be overcome by making a ring to go around the outside of the
wheel to compensate and add some machine stock.

I also have a few older machine tools that still need set up and restored,
but when that is done I could offer limited machining services. Our largest
lathe has a swing of 24" and a 16' bed, and is a historic piece itself dating from
1905.

Anyways, back to the Tod Engine.  I have set a goal of raising $17,000 for
next year's work on her reassembly, which includes about $10,000 for crane and
rigging services, $3,000 for concrete work and $4,000 for extension of
electrical service to the heritage park site.  That's after I pay the $3,000 bill to
the architect.  I still can't believe that we have spent over $60,000 on the
engine over the last eight years, and she still isn't back together yet!

Head over to our website at www.todengine.org and take a look at our webshots
page which is where I put all the up to date progress photos.  The link is at
the top of the homepage.

BTW if any list members happen to by passing through the Youngstown area and
want to see the engine please email me and I'll provide directions to the
heritage park site.

Thanks

Rick Rowlands
Executive Director
Tod Steam Engine Historic Landmark
William Tod 34" x 68" x 60" Cross Compound Steam Engine
Youngstown, OH
www.todengine.org