[SEL] BIG HELP

Leroy C. oldengin at udata.com
Sat Nov 6 07:08:06 PST 2004

Jim and Diane wrote:

>OK Leroy tell us what you have that weighs 18,000 lbs.

Ok here is the deal......      Friday I met with a friend, out of
stater, to load a piece of history. This chunk is sitting at an old
factory in Fostoria Ohio and was headed for the scrap pile, had I not
talked my friend in purchasing it. He, my friend, arrived at 11:00 am
and had with him a trailer rated at 15,000 lbs, my guess was only 4 ton
and Ed ( my brother) had guessed it at 5-6 ton range. It took three fork
lifts all they had to raise this into the air and allow the trailer to
go under it, everything went well. As the forklifts lowered this onto
the trailer it was soon, QUICKLY!, noted that it ain't going to work.
The trailer tires went down so low you could not read the writing on
them. I have never seen a tire blow out from an overload but trust me
these had to be close!!! We had 9 inches to possibly move this item
forward on the trailer and wanted to move it 10 inches over to be dead
middle and as all three lifts got themselves into proper position, under
my guidance, and started to lift, the timbers it was sitting on broke
through the trailer deck! She rocked hard and I thought we was going to
lose the load but it came to a rest with only a few broken trailer
plank, and my wet pants, and now it was decided that if we did reload it
the trailer would not haul it out of state!  The company, National
Carbon, now want no part of a reload attempt and have given us another
week or it is cut up and off to the junk man!!!

Here is the deal "I" have invested my friend money into something "I"
talked him into and now we can not move it. "I"  might have a lead on a
low boy, unsure what it will cost per mile,  but still no way to move it
( pick it up and load it). My friend, my brother , and myself have
arrived at a total, guess, weight of 18,000 pounds!  We have removed
some of the smaller items to lessen the load.  Any and all ideas are
welcome and a big crane would be better yet!   Any one with some
HELP?????????
ps my friend is on list so be careful what you say.
pss over a six hour trip one way and my friend went home empty handed.
psss I still swear that cast iron had 17 ounces in each pound
pssss my brother missed all the action but loved my wet pants!
psssss did I tell you what this is???
--

		C-ya

		  Leroy Clark

"We make a living by what we get; we make a life by what we give."
            W.A. NANCE

better look here--- http://www.oldengine.org/members/lclark