[SEL] Fuel for babbitt/lead melting burner

Rob Skinner rskinner at rustyiron.com
Mon Nov 1 11:05:54 PST 2004

>    Picked up an burner this weekend for melting babbitt.  It
> has the air pump.  Do I use white gas (Coleman fuel) in this?

Hi Rick,
Are we talking about a fire pot, like a backpacking stove but with a lot more
mojo?  It probably takes kero.  I run diesel in mine 'cuz it's easier to obtain.
Gasoline vaporizes too quickly and doesn't put out enough BTU's to get the job
done.

Tips:

1.  NEVER look down on the burner.  If things aren't just so, it can squirt a
stream of flaming fuel a couple feet in the air.

2.  Treat your orifice GENTLY.  If you make it too big by cleaning it
aggressively, the burner will cease to function properly.

3. Protective gear is a really good idea.  Exploding molten metal will ruin your
wool Armani jacket and leave pits in your Revo glasses.

Have fun and play safe.
Rob

Rob Skinner
La Habra, California