[SEL] Ottawa throttle governed 4hp question - buggered governor?

Paul Pavlinovich pjp at steamengine.com.au
Mon Nov 1 04:00:36 PST 2004

The governor on my Ottawa 4hp has failed (just a part of my engine
problems at Goldsmith on the weekend...).

Looking at the mechanism as far as I can tell:
- the butterfly valve has a spring on it which holds it normally closed
(without the governor connection it sits closed)
- the governor seems to pull back on the rod closing the valve

I'm thinking that one of these is wrong - either there is a spring
missing which would keep the valve normally open and only close it when
the governor comes into play at the "right" speed, or the governor
should hold the valve open against its spring until it reaches the right
speed.

Can someone who knows about Ottawa governors point me in the right
direction?

Paul

pjp at steamengine.com.au
Emerald, Victoria, Australia