[SEL] Small Engine Muffler

Rob Skinner rskinner at rustyiron.com
Mon Jun 28 16:40:36 PDT 2004

> I need to build a muffler for my 6 HP Wisconsin.  The
goal is
> to be as quiet as is practical.  This engine is on my
Gard'n
> Mast'r tractor that I want to drive at shows.  I want
> something that I can talk over while its running.
> Exhaust is 3/4" pipe.  Who has design tips?

Hi Andy,
Is the engine at the front of the tractor?  You might want
to consider running it out the back.  If you increase the
size of the pipe to one inch, it will allow the gases to
expand and slow down even more.  Put some kind of a muffler
in the middle of the pipe someplace.  Either use a
commercial muffler, or build something that will disrupt
the sound waves and slow down the travel of the gasses
before they exit the pipe.

Rob Skinner
La Habra, California
www.rustyiron.com