[SEL] Rivets

Steve W. falcon at telenet.net
Fri Jun 25 19:59:42 PDT 2004

REAL easy to make rivet sets. First you need a good solid punch that is
about 50% larger that the finished rivet head. Then you need a drill
press and a set of V block to hold the punch vertical under the drill
chuck. Now use a GOOD carbide bit and oil to drill a starter hole in the
tip of the punch GO SLOW. You want to stop when the hole is JUST as
large as the outside of the finished head. Now take a piece of hardened
steel that has been ground into the final shape of the head, coat it
with some valve grinding compound and use it in place of the drill to
finish the hole. (OR you can cheat and use a Dremel or similar
grindstone to do the same thing. This gives you a hammer powered set.
You can do the same thing to a hunk of steel to act as the backer block.
For powered use start with an air hammer punch instead. I have some up
to 9/16" that are used in an air hammer (I also have an old CP riveter
that handles up to 5/16")

OR buy a set from Snap-On.

Now if your going to be using these tools to set rivets on mower
sections you can buy a tool that looks like a chain breaker that will
set those rivets easier, I think Tractor Supply carries that one. They
used to have regular rivet set punches too but I haven't looked in a
while.

Steve Williams
Near Cooperstown NY