[SEL] Coolspring. NOW: Cylinder boring

Craig Prucha sel at antique-engine.com
Mon Jun 21 18:08:33 PDT 2004

Hi Curt, Arnie, and Michael,

Quite a few years ago some friends and I went out to the Henry Ford Museum. They
have an awesome display of steam engines. There was one corliss steam engine
setup with a portable boring machine driven by a small vertical steam engine.
On the following webpage, (see below) about 3/4 of the way down, you can see a
photo of the setup. It's the photo just before the Lima Locomotive.

http://www.pacificsun.ca/~robert/2001/part03.htm

About using a larger piston:

The first step will be to measure the bore and indicate it on the Horizontal
Boring Mill. Usually I have the bore mapped out on paper and know exactly where
the boring tool will start removing material. The piston reguardless of how
it's achieved, will have to have the proper clearance with the new bore. After
the boring process is completed this can all be figured out, how to get the
piston within the new required specs. Piston ring land depth and OD also play a
part in the decision of how to rework the piston. Every job is different. Well
take care, Craig...