[SEL] Novo?

Grant Weir weirgrant at hotmail.com
Tue Jun 8 13:08:35 PDT 2004

Hello all,

Some health trouble has kept me away from computers and rusty iron for
pretty much the entire winter, but now that spring has sprung, and summer is
here, I find I have more energy and am ready for some engine action!

I could not make it to the Fred Schneider auction last weekend,
(aaarrrrrggg!!!) but I did get around to picking up and engine I had found a
couple weeks ago in an old farm yard.  Because it looked so rough I did not
at first have much interest, but...  well, you know the deal;  several
sleepless nights later and I'm off looking for the owner.  He was not hard
to find and agreed to let me have it for nothing.  I'd like to say that it
is "barn fresh" but that would not be a particularly accurate description.
Here is a picture of it as I found it:

http://groups.msn.com/GrantsOldTractorGoodies/sundaymorningcruise.msnw?action=ShowPhoto&PhotoID=1055

I would also like to say that "it followed me home" but it did not do that
either - I had to force it to come with me!  It was down at the bottom of a
ditch in a big pile of debris, and much digging, tugging, and hoisting took
place to yard it out of there.  The water hopper is broken, the cam gear,
rocker arm, carb, and various other parts are missing.

It is an upright single cylinder engine with a closed crank-case and two
flywheels.  It looks to be about 2 or 3 HP and feels heavy enough to be 5 or
6 HP! :-) I think it is a Novo but I've never seen one before so I can not
be sure.  Wendels book shows that is looks like either a Novo, a Hildreth
(early Novo?), or maybe a Peerless?  I don't really know.  It also looks
like an Ideal, but mine has a spark plug hole, and never had an ignitor.  An
engine just like it sold at the Schneider auction last weekend - here is a
picture:

http://groups.msn.com/GrantsOldTractorGoodies/newengine.msnw?Page=1

What do you think gang?  Is it a Novo?  Were many made?  Can I find parts?
Any help would be appreciated.  It's pretty rough, so I'm kind of thinking
"flower pot" but if this thing is rare or something, then perhaps I'll have
to work on it some.  Thanks!

Grant Weir
Saskatoon, SK.
Canada