[SEL] Hercules XK revisited

Germoamer at aol.com Germoamer at aol.com
Tue Jun 8 08:50:29 PDT 2004

While in one of the outbuildings this morning, I stopped and looked at a
Hercules XK and studied the 3 hole flywheels.  A thought as to why they are there
came to me, and you have to understand by brain to appreciate the significance
that!  The flywheel hub is split with a bolt to hold onto the crank with a
straight key.  The split is directly centered in one of the flywheel holes.
Would not that hole then be there to permit minor expansion/contraction of the
flywheel as it is tightned/loosened on the crankshaft?  The other two holes
would then be there to balance the flywheel, or also to permit
expansion/contraction.

Tom Schmutz
Concord, Va. USA
Germoamer at aol.com