[SEL] 12hp Economy and grist mill

Dave Rotigel rotigel at alltel.net
Sat Jun 5 19:43:18 PDT 2004

> They're still out there. From the shed where it ran I picked up a 12hp I
think Economy, tag says Engine 140601, rpm 300, 12EK. The mill is a Williams
Mill, 16in #B2994. The engine was mostly complete, missing the mag and
ignitor. I took it home and cleaned it up, had to pull the head and regrind
the valves, had it running this evening. Compression came up and it's hard
to pull over by hand now, have to wait for it to bleed off. The mill was a
bonus, I couldn't see it when I first went to look at the engine, it was
covered with old lumber. It really looks good, the wood is like new, most of
the paint is still on it. The metal is a little rusty but all of the bolts
and knobs turn by hand. It has a shaker attachment but I haven't figured out
where it went yet. I plan to belt it up and grind some corn at the shows.
> J.B. Castagnos

Hi J. B.,
    VERY nice "find!" Not at all unlike what I ran across several years ago.
See: http://www.oldengine.org/members/rotigel/Roti_Eng/12Herc/index.html and
http://www.oldengine.org/members/rotigel/12herc/dad_herc.html
Your engine was built in 1916. How about some pictures?
    Dave
PS, I take for granted that it's of hit and miss design. I think the T/G
engines built by Hercules were marketed only under the Hercules brand.
PPS, Your engine should have no trouble pulling the mill. The 12 HP Hercules
I had pulled 48" rocks!