[SEL] hercules question

Lyndsay Frazer frazerlyndsay at hotmail.com
Thu Jun 3 16:50:41 PDT 2004

Hi Jim,
          I find most of the smaller Hercs are very noisy in the gear train.
On my one and a half hp I had a new governer and crank gear cut but it was
still fairly noisy. I decided the only way out was to make an accentric cam
gear pin which I could rotate to bring the gears into better mesh. This
helped a fair bit but I think it would have been better to get a cam gear
cut as well but the cost for me was prohibitive.
        At a Rally with all the other engines running you don't really
notice the rattle; it's when yours is the only engine going that it is a
very noticeable. I would certainly make a new cam pin though to get rid of
the vibration there.
        It also sounds like that new governer gear may not be quite right.

Regards,
Lyndsay in Oz.