[SEL] hercules question

Jim French fbi at insulate.co.uk
Thu Jun 3 14:11:42 PDT 2004

Hi all
After dinner I had a little play with the 3HP Hercules and from when I
last ran it (New Year Crank-up) the gear meshing sound is very loud.
Last year at Portland I bought a new govenor gear and this gear seems to
sit too far away from the middle timing gear and chatters big time!
There's a stuffer greaser which feeds the middle timing gear and when
the engine is turning, you can feel the ratchetty meshing of the cogs
through the greaser shaft.  I thought it was all the slop between the
govenor gear but the vibration is from the middle (timing) gear.
Are these engines niosy on the gears?
Any info or opinions greatly appreciated!

Jim
--
Jim French
fbi at insulate.co.uk