[SEL] Tod Engine Moved to Museum!!!

Tod Engine Foundation jrowland3 at neo.rr.com
Fri Jul 30 11:55:14 PDT 2004

Luke,

I have a 5 gallon bucket in the floor of the pit in which I put a pump.  It
is set up so that at some point in the future I can dig down behind the pit
and tie a drain line into that sump pit and turn it into a drain.  There is
plenty of fall to drain by gravity.  I haven't done the drain line yet
because there is a house trailer and lots of parts in the path of the drain.

The pit will fill up some with water until the building is built. I am not
concerned with it because there is so much grease on the flywheel that it
will be well protected.  That grease is a tenaceous, sticky goo and won't
wash off in a hundred years!

That space, about 20", between pad and bedplate will eventually be filled
with concrete up to the bedplate.  The engine will be blocked and leveled
beforehand.  Grout is just portland cement and sand, and we may be able to
get by with just concreteing up to the bedplate without using grout.

BTW we set the LP soleplate directly on the pad, and it came out perfectly
level! Apparently we must have been pretty accurate when we poured the pad.
I just have to lift the rear of the bedplate up about 2" using jacks to get
that piece perfectly level. Probably do that next wek after I make up a
couple of pedestals to set it on.

Also, the wrecking crew may remember laying on our backs removing those
bolts that attached the soleplate and bedplate. Working conditions didn't
get any better when I put them back in this morning. Was flat on my back
holding a 15 pound bolt up three feet inside the casting and screwing it in
during a pouring rainstorm while the riggers were dry in their truck!

Rick