[SEL] A Baker Monitor question

Curt Holland curt at imc-group.com
Wed Jul 21 08:14:27 PDT 2004

Making several new shafts for Devin's Baker Monitor. It looks like the
parts are held on the shafts with tapered keys.
I've done measuring and some math on the tapers and am not coming up
with the standard 1 in 100 taper or 1/8 per foot.
Taper works out to as little as .192/ft to as much as .480/ft.
While difficult to measure on narrow parts (only an inch wide),
generally I'll be in the ballpark, but this is not even close to standard!

Does anyone know if Baker used nonstandard, steeper tapers in fixing
hubs and gears to the shafts?
Thanks,
Curt Holland
Gastonia, NC