[SEL] Nat Rally

Adam Cottrill adamcottrill at telstra.com
Wed Jul 21 04:35:45 PDT 2004

Hi Gents,
        I felt I had to reply to this one, I was at a meeting of the (NHMA) National Rally committee last Thursday in South Aus and it seems after some internal difficulties you most likely know about they are getting things back on track.

I’m not sure if you realise how much an event of this size costs to put on? You just don’t wake up one morning and decide I’m going to hold a national rally. A good example of this is the portable toilets costing $17,000 for the event. In stead of complaining about that costs supply a solution of how a cost such as this can be paid for or eliminated from the rally... should one bring there own toilet paper?

As for the hobby in this country in decline again I beg to differ the NHMA has now over 7,000 members compared to the high 5000's 18-24 months ago reference to this is in the current NHMA Newsletter.

Another misconception is accommodation is not available. This is not true it is readily available for the event and is now being handled exclusively by the local tourist information centre.

I will agree that not all things are perfect at this stage but even the best laid plans can go sour, time will tell, if you have a complaint of concern with the rally convey it directly and at the same time provide a feasible solution or alternative to the problem. The thing I wish would decline in this country is the tall poppy syndrome.

If you need the contact details of the exec and organisers let me know and I will pass them on.

Kind regards,
             Adam