[SEL] Hercules tg, idleing

jbcast at charter.net jbcast at charter.net
Tue Jul 20 04:12:23 PDT 2004

> From: "Luke Tonneberger" <flywheelin at hotmail.com>
> Date: 2004/07/20 Tue AM 10:55:39 GMT
> To: sel at lists.stationary-engine.com
> Subject: RE: [SEL] Hercules tg, idleing
>
> Hi J.B.,
>
> I've had our throttle gov 9hp Sattley down to about 84 or 86 RPM if I
> remember right. That is with the Webster mag in the retarded position.
>   I was just thinking...... using some CAD drafting software, if you were to
> measure the throat diameter in the carb where the butterfly is. Draw a
> cylinder to represent that throat size.  Then take a cross section at the
> angle where the butterfly would need to be.  Make an auxillary view
> projected out at the angle of the cross section.  This would give you a flat
> pattern of the egg shape needed to close off the throat.  Print that off at
> full size on a printer, cut it out with scissors and transfer it to brass or
> whatever is used for the butterfly material.  Once it was cut out, you then
> would have to file the edges of the butterfly to match the throat of the
> carb to close it off tight.   I hope you understand what I'm trying to say.
> I can picture it in my mind.  I think the hardest part would be to
> guesstimate the angle the butterfly would need to be at.
>
> Luke Tonneberger
Luke, my plan was to correct the wear in the throttle shaft and clean up the bore in the throat where the butterfly seats. I would then take a piece of shaft and turn it to match the bore, cut it at the correct angle, screw the plate to it and machine it, it would be wobbleing in the lathe looking at it. This should give a nice fit.
J.B.