[SEL] Hercules tg, idleing

Luke Tonneberger flywheelin at hotmail.com
Tue Jul 20 03:55:39 PDT 2004

Hi J.B.,

I've had our throttle gov 9hp Sattley down to about 84 or 86 RPM if I
remember right. That is with the Webster mag in the retarded position.
  I was just thinking...... using some CAD drafting software, if you were to
measure the throat diameter in the carb where the butterfly is. Draw a
cylinder to represent that throat size.  Then take a cross section at the
angle where the butterfly would need to be.  Make an auxillary view
projected out at the angle of the cross section.  This would give you a flat
pattern of the egg shape needed to close off the throat.  Print that off at
full size on a printer, cut it out with scissors and transfer it to brass or
whatever is used for the butterfly material.  Once it was cut out, you then
would have to file the edges of the butterfly to match the throat of the
carb to close it off tight.   I hope you understand what I'm trying to say.
I can picture it in my mind.  I think the hardest part would be to
guesstimate the angle the butterfly would need to be at.

Luke Tonneberger