[SEL] Need Stover Help!

Patrick M Livingstone pml1 at bigpond.net.au
Sat Jul 17 01:50:00 PDT 2004

I took some more pictures today to more clearly show the fuel savers on
Stovers. I have added these to the pictures that were already on my Stover
pages.
This photo shows the head of Ron's YB with everything in place (ignore the
lifting lugs on the head bolts):
http://www.oldengine.org/members/pml/myengines/Stover/0902yb7.jpg
This is a rather naked view of the head of my YB:
http://www.oldengine.org/members/pml/myengines/Stover/0902yb8.jpg
Here are two views of the fuel saver on Ron's YB with the rocker removed:
http://www.oldengine.org/members/pml/myengines/Stover/04071701.JPG
http://www.oldengine.org/members/pml/myengines/Stover/04071702.JPG

I am not 100% sure of the workings of the fuel saver but if you consider
that the exhaust valve is already held open so there is not a huge amount of
vacuum left to suck open the intake valve. All the fuel saver needs to do is
to add a little tension to the intake valve spring and the valve will not
open.
A slightly different style of Stover fuel saver can be seen on my DX (6hp)
horizontal.
http://www.oldengine.org/members/pml/myengines/Stover/04071703.JPG
http://www.oldengine.org/members/pml/myengines/Stover/04071704.JPG

The YB and YC fuel savers are identical and the YA engines were not fitted
with fuel savers. The horizontal and vertical engine fuel savers seem to be
identical in operating principle but are just pivoted differently due to the
different layout of the rocker and valves.
My YC does not have a fuel saver as it is a throttle governed engine so the
exhaust valve is never latched out.

Patrick M Livingstone
Leichhardt NSW
http://www.oldengine.org/members/pml/Index.html