[SEL] O.T. DSL Service - Run a Dedicated line?

Peter A Forbes diesel at easynet.co.uk
Mon Jul 12 13:46:24 PDT 2004

On Mon, 12 Jul 2004 14:29:18 -0500, you wrote:

>Anyway my question to you current DSL users or you computer guru's is:
>
>(1) Would it be better if I ran a dedicated cable from the phone box to my
>new DSL router? Currently I have two phone lines, (only one phone cable) one
>for the home and one for the computer and of course they are all in one
>cable with two of the four wires for the home line and two of the four wires
>for the computer. (I have two separate telephone numbers).
>
>Also connected to this home  is an array of extension wires to phones in
>every room of the house including my shop as well as phone lines to the
>satellite receivers.
>
>If it would be better to run a dedicated line to my router for DSL service
>is there a certain wire, or cable that is recommended. I want to do this up
>right and need the input from you experts on the subject.
>
>Thanks again for all of the help.
>
>Paul

It depends on how your DSL service is set up by the phone company.

Here, we have a standard phone line which takes low frequency voice calls as
usual, and also the high-frequency DSL

At the phone jack, we have a filter which plugs into the phone jack and splits
the signal, one socket then going to the standard phone, another to the DSL
service user (DSL modem)

I believe that our lines are tested for response before our phone service turns
on the DSL service, and in our case the phone lines are fairly new as we had the
three lines moved about 5 years ago from one end of the property to the other,
but they still come in on overhead wires like a lot of country homes.

The DSL signal goes to the new modem (You cannot use the old modem on DSL) and
then it all depends on what you need at home. We run out of the modem into a US
Robotics 8000 series router, which then feeds an 8-way network switch. All our
machines are on the network switch. We use the switch as we have more than 4
machines on the network. If we had 4 or less then the basic router would do the
job. If you had a modem/router combination unit, then you're saved the cabling
between two units as all the machines would come straight out of the
modem/router.

As we have the phone line in the same room as the modem etc., there is no need
for us to 'improve' the signal by renewing any cables etc., and the modem
service screen shows we are getting maximum rates of data flow so no problems
there. In your case it is probably the same, unless you have a grungy old copper
cable that is prone to rain or earth leakage, in which case the telco should
check it out first.

One other point: Wireless.

Had we known about wireless modems and networks a little bit earlier, we would
have gone for wireless rather than Cat5 cable etc. If you are not too worried
about security then wireless networks can be great in the home, especially if
you can't drill holes or have cables draped all over.

What you should end up with is 24/7 access to the net, with a reliable and fast
service. We are slightly ahead of the US in speeds at present, but not hugely
so. We can have five machines all running on the net at once here, all sharing
the DSL connection and not seeing a big slow-down at all, and it is reliable!

Peter

--
Peter & Rita Forbes
diesel at easynet.co.uk