[SEL] O.T. Computer Problem Solved - I hope!

Peter A Forbes diesel at easynet.co.uk
Sun Jul 11 01:58:53 PDT 2004

On Sun, 11 Jul 2004 01:59:07 -0500, you wrote:

>I am going to close for now and body slam the bed as I am exhausted. This
>will be the last time I ever do a System Recovery with Dial Up, I am going
>to DSL, it has taken me eight hours to complete this System Recovery using
>Dial Up.
>
>Good Night Folks,
>
>Paul

An epic tale indeed, but surely Paul's tale is not typical for others, and there
is some reason for the failure/problems?

We have had the occasional glitch, but nothing as bad as what Paul has been
describing, and we operate many more machines than he does, with a mixture of
DSL and dial-up connections.

One thing we have kept consistently to on ALL machines is Windows2000Pro,
Microsoft automatic updates, Zone-Alarm Pro firewall and Norton AV.

I personally don't reckon much on XP as an Operating System, seeing a lot of
compatibility issues on the newsgroups. We find that Win2kPro is much better
supported on the hardware side.

Just to give a quick example of that, we have one machine we run DOS CAD
programmes on, and that uses a 1991 Orchid ProDesigner II graphics card with
1meg of memory only.  That runs perfectly well in Windows with no problems at
all, while some of the newer cards have all sorts of speed and memory hassles.

Just a few thoughts from the UK.

Peter

--
Peter & Rita Forbes