[SEL] Big engine starting wheels?

Curt Holland curt at imc-group.com
Tue Jul 6 04:59:49 PDT 2004

Don,
Without getting into a long drawn out tale there is an unfortunate
fellow down here that learned the hard way just what you are speaking
of! He rigged up a free standing starter and when the engine fired it
move back hard enough to climb the starter wheel and rolled the entire
engine over breaking a 10HP Bessemer flywheel into many pieces. As you
can imagine he was sick. We were all sick for him too.
Whatever the starter motor (if it is truly needed)  it would be the best
of practice to attach it to the skid the engine is bolted to. Then you
are assured absolute control of  both parts to prevent any mishaps.....
Curt Holland
Gastonia, NC