[SEL] Coil Question

Prepair Ltd prepair at easynet.co.uk
Fri Dec 31 08:08:41 PST 2004

On Thu, 30 Dec 2004 15:37:44 -0500, you wrote:

>Hi List,
>
>I had an engine running with a coil & battery.
>The coil was from a Techumsa ???  The battery - a small gell filled 12V.
>
> Once I got the engine running, I decided to "Streamline" by taking the
>iron frame from around & through the coil.
>
>After hooking it back up - I didn't seem to be getting much spark -  When
>all of a sudden
>a loud SNAP !!!  and SMOKE - (The coil blew up.)
>
>Question :::  Does a coil NEED the iron core running throught the middle
>to work properly ?

'Fraid so, the inductor is just a resistance wire on DC supplies, so
it just overheats and burns up, same as a standard coil will if you
leave it connected and the points closed with the battery connected.

The core just transfers the magnetic field when you break the points
and collapse the magnetic circuit. No core, no spark, or a very weak
one as there is 'some' transfer of magnetism, even with an air-cored
coil.

Engine is a Tecumseh?

Peter
--