[SEL] People with deep pockets

Prepair Ltd prepair at easynet.co.uk
Tue Dec 21 02:51:26 PST 2004

On Mon, 20 Dec 2004 16:38:40 -0500 (EST), you wrote:

>G'day Patrick,
>
>I think the answer to that question is highly individual.  Some folks who
>buy the paper as an "investment" probably wouldn't want to copy it for
>fear of "diluting" the value of their invenstment by having copies of the
>info "out there."  Others, like you and I, buy the literature because of
>some connection to the hobby.  And sharing information is another
>important part of the hobby.
>
>I'd wager that the same two types of thinking also applies to loaning out
>parts of engines so that copies can be made.  I'm sure there are some out
>there who would never consider loaning out a part.  Happily I know folks
>who would consider nothing less.
>
>So again I think it boils down to individuals; some share and some don't.
>
>See ya,  Arnie
>
>Arnie Fero
>Pittsburgh, PA
>fero_ah at city-net.com
>
>On Mon, 20 Dec 2004, Patrick M Livingstone wrote:
>
>> 	I have nothing against collecting original paperwork. I have
>> original catalogues and handbooks for many of my engines (and paid well for
>> some of them). I quite willingly make copies for people who require them but
>> will those who have paid extreme amounts be as willing to make copies?

<soapbox)

We've been here before :-))

I have absolutely no problem with copying to help other engine guys
out, in fact I have a set of original Petter literature out with
Roland Craven at present for him to copy for his own use.

What I have always objected to is the guy or guys who copy and then
try and sell on to others as though the material is their own, that
really gets on my titties!  Paul Evans has had to take action a number
of times against ebay vendors who have ripped stuff off his site and
made up CD's to sell on ebay. That material was put there to help
others, not provide a living for rip-off merchants.

A lot of us have also had our own websites raided for pictures (Rob
Skinner was the last well-known one...) and material. It is not on
that people can 'steal' for want of a better description material that
is put in the public domain to help others out.

</soapbox>

Peter
--
Peter A Forbes