[SEL] Smithsonian stuff

Judge Tommy Turner lcjudge at scrtc.com
Thu Dec 16 05:04:23 PST 2004

Paul,

They haven't revamped the engine display but did rework some of the
exhibits next door to it.  There is some very neat stuff to see there
for sure.  The real disappointment that I have with the Smithsonian is
that the former Centennial Exposition building has been completely
changed.  Until about 6 years ago it contained a lot of neat items that
were indicitive of the Centennial Exposition of 1876.  There were a
couple of atmospheric engines, a couple of slide valve horizontals, all
kinds of machine tools, etc.  The kind of stuff that would catch most of
our interests.  I understand that a portion of it has been moved to
another location (possibly Steamtown in PA?).  Nevertheless, the advice
you give Rick is right on track.  A day (or two or three) to the
Smithsonian is certainly worth the trip.

Tommy Turner
Magnolia, Ky