Was: [SEL] Is't true? Now something to look at

Steve Gray segray at mlode.com
Sun Dec 12 23:20:56 PST 2004

Hi All -

   Thanks to all for the comments!

To Ron - To answer your questions about the Mery's ignition; yes, I am
also using the Hall Effect transistor along with the solid state "buzz
coil" driver and model high tension coil. This was the thing that
probably gave me the most fits, and I ended up going back to my old
career and oscilloscope, and redesigning some of the circuit. I really
like the idea of the "pointless" ignition and the Hall transistor worked
out great. The main problem was two fold: lack of dwell angle and the
oscillator circuit not performing as advertised. In a nut shell, I
nearly tripled the circuit's frequency while still trying to stay within
the saturation specs of the coil. Doing this overcame the lack of dwell
(on time) and literally was the difference between the engine running
and not running. As for cooling, I'm doing nearly the same as you are.
The little brass belt driven pump shown in the pictures is what I
dreamed up to circulate the water from a custom 'tank'. The tin covered
'tool box' next to the engine contains the propane tank, regulator,
valve and a battery switch for the ignition. The tank, box and engine
platform will eventually bolt to an oak top with concealed wheels,
handle and legs for moving and showing.

To Marv - This is Mery # 223. I recently asked Roland Morrison, the
kits' engineer, about how many of these he knows are running. He says
he's aware of about 20 throughout the world that actually run now. I
just recently coaxed the first person in Japan to buy a kit.

To Judge Tommy - Having never gone to school for machining, I consider
myself darn lucky to be able to do as well as I do. Thing with this
stuff, you're ALWAYS learning!

Again, thanks to all!

- Steve

--