[SEL] Springfield models

Curt curt at imc-group.com
Fri Dec 10 12:12:03 PST 2004

Dave,
As promised....from Grayson's book:

"As the fast moving 1870's drew to its close, those wishing to enter the
manufacture of IC engines found themselves scrambling either to invent a
machine that would not run afoul of existing patents or sales
territories or else acquire the rights to an existing engine. That is
the position in which an instrument maker in Magdeburg, Germany, founds
itself in in 1878. When it failed to procure a license to manufacture
Deutz engines, the firm of Buss and Sombart turned instead to de
Bisschop. Little is known today about the firm's principals other than
Buss was the financier while Charles M. Sombart was the more technically
minder partner. Apparently, however, the men acquired rights to make and
sell the engine in the United States, where the patent was registered in
Buss's name. US operation was established at 215 Centre St in New York
City. Production, however, seems to have taken place in Hartford,
Connecticut, where the company was listed during 1884 and again in
1886-1888. Mr. Sombart was a highly capable engineer. He made some
important  improvements to the engine including a patented throttle that
mixed illuminating gas and air. Also, as the de Bisschop operating
principle limited the engine to its modest outputs, Sombart developed a
new two-cycle engine in 1882....."

Hope this is useful and it does seem to answer your question if the
Sombart engine was an American made Bisschop engine.
Curt Holland
Gastonia, NC