[SEL] YES YES YES

Alan Bowen alanb2 at webtv.net
Tue Aug 31 17:10:32 PDT 2004

Hi Bob,

Great feeling when the fire up ain't it????

Now,,,

The easiest way to aquire a check valve is to make one.

Basically a check valve is just a brass fitting or adapter with a metal
ball inside it.  Most of them I have made started with a brass fitting
that adapts 1/8" pipe to 1/4" compression.

Read it all before starting. 8>))

To make it a check valve remove the compression nut and toss away the
compression sleeve. Now drop in a brass, steel or stainless steel ball.

It don't fit????
I forgot to tell you that I drill out the opening to 1/32" over the dia.
of the ball.

I use a 5/16" ball.

I clamp the fitting in my drill press vise.  I also have had better luck
drilling right through the compression nut too.  That means I picked up
an extra nut at the hardware store.  In my kit that is hiding around
here somewhere I keep that drilled nut and have used it lots of times.

Anyway,,,,  After it is drilled larger drop the 5/16" ball in and put on
an undrilled compression nut.  Hold the fitting with the nut down.  The
ball will seal against the nut.

The problem here is when the engine sucks the ball will seal in the top
too,,,,,,

So,,,  Open it back up and use a small triangle shaped file to cut some
grooves in the fitting so the gas can get around the top of the ball.

Now you have a usable check valve.

I think the one I just reworked for my new engine was a fitting to go
from 1/8" pipe to 1/8" compression.  I don't like the design as well,
but since I made some changes it works O.K.

I hope this helps,

Alan Bowen alanb2 at webtv.net
Williamsburg, Michigan

~~~~Bob Jacobs wrote~~~~~

I'd like to take a minute and thank you one and all for your help and
suggestions!!!
The ole' 5hp Economy actually cranked up and ran for a straight hour for
me this
afternoon!!! sounded good and to know the last time she ran was 1977 and
then
she only fired a few times before the mag died.
Now one more question, it's very apparent that I need to install a check
valve in
the fuel line but haven't been able to locate one locally, any
suggestions???
Bob