[SEL] Yet another question

Rob Skinner rskinner at rustyiron.com
Tue Aug 31 07:05:18 PDT 2004

> similar to brake shoes on a car.  It appears that at some

> point and time these shoes had some type of lining on
them to
> provide enough friction for it to
> actually be  able to drive a piece of equipment.    Now
the
> question is, does anyone have an idea or knowledge of a
> person or place I could send these shoes to and have them

> re-lined so the clutch will actually function as it's
> intended to do.

Hi Bob,
This shouldn't be a difficult job and you can probably
complete it yourself with basic hand tools.

If you intend to subject the clutch to heavy use or let it
run for extraordinarily long periods while disengaged, get
some brake lining material from McMaster-Carr.  Get the
softer, non-metallic material to prevent excessive wear.
You can get it in various thicknesses, widths and sheets.

If you're just going to use the clutch periodically or for
light duty, use leather.  Many early clutches were lined
with leather and it will work fine.  Look for a company
that makes leather goods.  Different parts of the cow have
different thicknesses of hide, and you should be able to
find some at least 3/16" to 1/4".

If the original linings were riveted to the shoes, you can
get new rivets from McMaster-Carr.  If the shoes are nicely
machined, you can use just about any type of adhesive in
addition to the rivets.  If the shoes are crudely finished,
you might want to use an adhesive that will fill voids,
such as JB Weld.

Rob

Rob Skinner
La Habra, California