[SEL] New Portland Engine

Alan Bowen alanb2 at webtv.net
Sun Aug 29 15:25:03 PDT 2004

Hi Folks,

Some of y'all were at Portland and saw the 1 3/4 hp MacLoed I bought.
For those of you who couldn't (or wouldn't) be there,,,,  It has a nice
Webster mag on it.

The seller had a hard time starting it for me and blamed it on a wet
mag,   They didn't cover anything Friday night,,,,   EVERYTHING was wet
at Portland Saturday.  8>))

Well, I played with the check valve a little  but quit because I wasn't
at Portland to work on an engine.  All I did while at Portland was
borrow a file from Dave R's tool box and file some grooves so the gas
could get around the ball when it was sucked to the top.

A while ago I pulled the fuel line back out of the tank and reworked the
check valve some more.  At Portland, when I shook it, I could hear the
ball moving.   At home, when I blew through it, it seemed restricted.
So,, I drilled the ball chamber out 1/32 larger than the ball.

That's what I do when I build check valves.
I put it back together and with the mixer needle open 3/4 turn I
retarded the timing lever, closed the choke and pulled the flyheels over
once. Then I open the choke and pulled it over just once to have her
fire up and run sweet. Advanced the timing and this is a keeper.  8>))

BTW, Dave,,,, Arnie offered your file to me,,,,  8>))

Alan Bowen  alanb2 at webtv.net
Williamsburg, Michigan