[SEL] Briggs Valves

jlb94 at juno.com jlb94 at juno.com
Fri Aug 27 07:31:32 PDT 2004

Hi Bob,
Thanks for the reply.
I've always been able to remove the keepers on Briggs valves rather
easily.
But these on the "Y" are a bit heavier.  I have the keepers off and the
valves out but the springs are still in the block.  They are also in the
way for measuring the gap.  So, I have to take them out.  I can't imagine
how I'm going to get the springs compressed and back into the engine and
install the keepers all at one time.

I like your "return / rental" policy but I couldn't do that.  Once I've
used something, I'm going to keep it.  I'll probably have to make
something.  Unless I can buy a tool that isn't too expensive.

As for timing an engine with igniter - - - I'm not familiar.  But - - - I
imagine it's the same as with regular mags.  There is usually an
adjustment on the trip rod and the engine
should fire when the "mark" on the flywheel passes the "trip rod".

If there is no mark on the flywheel:   First find Top Dead Center and
mark it with chaulk on the flywheel.  Then adjust your igniter to trip
about 3 to 4 inches (on the flywheel) before that mark.  That should put
you at about 15º  Before Top Dead Center.

Most of my engines are between 1½ & 3 HP.  Bigger engines (larger
flywheel) would increase that 3 - 4"  to  5 - 6".

Hope this helps.  If not - Get back to me.

Joe "Pip" Betz said that.
jlb94 at juno.com
 ,-._,-.          "Two can live a cheaply as one  -
 \/)"(\/             but only half as long."
 (_o_)          http://community.webshots.com/user/pipbetz