[SEL] Briggs Valves

jbcast at charter.net jbcast at charter.net
Thu Aug 26 18:58:56 PDT 2004

> Today I decided to take the valves out of a Briggs Model "Y".
> Reason - Cannot figure why I can't get this thing to start.
>
> The valves are held in with pretty hefty springs and 2 little half circle
> keepers on each valve stem.
>
> My question - - - What kind of valve spring compressor might I use on
> this engine ?

Joe, I've done many of these with two screwdrivers. Pry the spring up with the screwdrivers while holding the valve down, let one go, the retaining washer will cock, but usually you'll have enough room to install the keepers. A little grease and a screwdriver will help with the keepers.
J.B. Castagnos
Not In Portland