[SEL] Briggs Valves

jlb94 at juno.com jlb94 at juno.com
Thu Aug 26 18:34:54 PDT 2004

Hi Guys (If anyone not at Portland is out there.)

Today I decided to take the valves out of a Briggs Model "Y".
Reason - Cannot figure why I can't get this thing to start.

The valves are held in with pretty hefty springs and 2 little half circle
keepers on each valve stem.

My question - - - What kind of valve spring compressor might I use on
this engine ?

I have about every tool imaginable but when it comes to valve springs -
Nada !
I guess I could use a "plier" type compressor but have no idea where to
find one.

Haven't tried the local NAPA dealer yet but I don't want to spend much on
the tool.

Suggestions ?

Joe "Pip" Betz said that.
jlb94 at juno.com
 ,-._,-.          "Two can live a cheaply as one  -
 \/)"(\/             but only half as long."
 (_o_)          http://community.webshots.com/user/pipbetz